Viberti was founded in 1922 in Turin. For years it has built its position around an extremely wide range of transport vehicles.
It all began in 1922, when in a small workshop on the out-skirts of Turin Candido Viberti began producing the
first car models that met with the appreciation of Giovanni Ce-irano, pioneer of the Italian automotive industry
and owner of SCAT (Società Ceirano Automobili Torino).
In 1928 after several years of work and with more expe-rience, Viberti decided to take a big step by
establishing his own company Candido Viberti. The company’s seat was on the site of the old SCAT plant on an
area of approx. 8,000 m2 where about 150 employees found employment. It was the first plant dedicated to the
construction of car bodies and industrial vehicles. The owner, guided by the belief that there was growing
demand for this type of products, decided to devote himself entirely to this industry (tanks, buses, trailers,
semi-trailers, special bodies, trolleybuses, trucks).
In 1932 Viberti linked its brand with trailers that have gone down in the history of transport and have been the
com-pany’s hallmark over the years. From that moment on, the plant experienced a period of unprecedented
prosperity and continuous development, as a result of which, in 1935, it was necessary to change the seat to a
larger one. The choice fell on the former car factory in Ansaldo: a complex with an area of 70,000 m2, also
located in Turin, and hiring around 800 employees.
The following year marks another milestone in Viberti’s history: the acquisition of SAIV, a company in Verona,
fo-unded in 1923, specializing in the production of tanks. It was an important strategic move that allowed the
Turin company to expand its product range. In 1937 Viberti began serial production of aviation fuel distribution
trucks on the runways/landing areas.
In 1940 Italy engaged in hostilities, and the Ministry of War entrusted Viberti (which employed more than 1,750
workers in 1943) with the construction of huge amounts of trailers with special containers for the transport of
liquids and fuels for the army, navy and aviation, as well as the construction of means of transport for various
goals. But the outbreak of war was not only a period of increasing or-ders. The company was hit by bombing with
At the end of World War II, Viberti’s situation was not opti-mistic. According to the company’s balance sheets,
almost 60% of the entire industrial area was razed to the ground as a result of bomb attacks and military
Consistency and the market debut of new, highly success-ful products, such as the three-axle articulated vehicle
built in 1950, allowed the company to revive its operations. In the post-war period, Viberti reached over
146,000m2 production area and employed around 2,000 people.
Between 1952 and 1960, Viberti made a number of impor-tant acquisitions, such as Officina Carenzi in Piacenza
and Officine Adige in Verona, which allowed the Turin group to achieve large domestic market shares and offer
customers a diversified product.
Enormous development resulted in the need to build a new plant adapted to the new requirements of the company.
And so, in 1969 the old industrial complex was converted into a new industrial headquarters in Nichelino
In 1996, the company was purchased by the family com-pany Acerbi, a trailer manufacturer, with its own plant in
Castelnuovo Scrivia (near Turin). The resulting plant com-plex covered an area of 350,000 m2.
In December 2010, the Viberti brand was purchased by Compagnia Italiana Rimorchi, based in Tocco da Casau-ria
(Pescara) which owed the Merker and Cardi brands, thus creating the largest Italian base for Italian tractor
In 2015 the company became part of the Wielton Group, changing its name first to Italiana Rimorchi S.r.l. and
then to the present Viberti Rimorchi S.r.l.